Followers

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Liverpool Midfielder Joe Cole Joins Lille On Loan


LILLE, France (AP) -French club Lille has signed midfielder Joe Cole on loan from Liverpool for the rest of the season.

Lille confirmed the deal with the 29-year-old England international on its website Wednesday.

Cole struggled to break into the Liverpool team last season after being released by Chelsea.

"I needed to have a new challenge and to go abroad, and Lille gave me that opportunity,'' Cole said in quotes published in French on the club's website. "The football played by Lille reminds me of the one played by Barcelona. I'd like the club to win the league title again this season.''

Lille has boosted its attack lately after losing midfielder Yohan Cabaye to Newcastle and Ivory Coast forward Gervinho to Arsenal earlier in the transfer window.

The French defending champion also signed Poland striker Ireneusz Jelen on Tuesday on a one-year deal.

Cole won the Premier League title three times with Chelsea and participated in the last three World Cups with England.

"I'd like to get back in the England team. It's one of my goals,'' Cole said.

The attacking midfielder brings plenty of European experience to a Lille side eager to do well in the Champions League.

"The squad is young but I'm here to help the team and bring my experience,'' Cole said. "It's a great challenge for me. I'm going to discover a different style of football, which can only be positive.''

Cole featured for Chelsea when the London club reached the Champions League final in 2008.

Source : sportsillustrated.cnn.com

Bombay,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...